Thursday, January 22, 2015

Over Used Cliche: Cop Wannabes

I don’t take my job so seriously that I would defend it to the death, but I would like to set the record straight about the whole wannabe cop thing. When people think of security guards they think of Paul Blart: Mall Cop or one of those dudes that drives around a parking lot in a Smart Car wearing reflective aviators. I am just bored human being who makes money walking in circles all day. I guess it beats sweating your balls off in Nevada guarding nuclear reactors, but it does not pay as well. You have to professionally call in everything over the radio and when it comes right down to it the code system is ridiculous. Going to pee has it’s own code! It’s funny how guests look at your worried, like you just called in an air strike. It’s a serious job but if you take it too seriously you will lose your mind.


A lot of security guards do end up applying for the police force (whether they get accepted is a whole other matter) but that is not something I want to do. My grandfather was a cop back in the 60s-early 80s. For the most part he was a decent guy who raised an even better man, but his time in WW2 and the police force had a substantial affect on his personality. He became an alcoholic and a lot of medical complaints toward the end of his life because of it. I do not despise the police but I won’t fall on a sword for them either. I have no intention of becoming a police officer. Most of them seem to have a chip on their shoulder, or a deep seeded thirst for revenge on how they were treated in high school. Most people get over it and grow up. Others just become cops. 

No comments:

Post a Comment