Thursday, February 19, 2015

Sociology

In an earlier post (http://beingasecurityguard.blogspot.com/2015/01/communication.html) I talked about the amount of Communication that should be used in this field, but I did not really dwell upon the point of how to talk while on the job.

For example there is always a boss, there has to be. There is always someone to take orders from, everyone understands that, but when your department is responsible for the well being of others you need to know how to both; respond to moments of crisis and properly command your man-power.

The Supervision thing however is a post for another day, my point here is to say that when you work in an art museum you have to properly converse with other departments about any number of issues (typically ones that do not really affect what you are doing but more the esthetics). You do not need to be a social butterfly, it probably helps, but really you just need to handle the art of small talk.

Where I work everyone is in a hurry to do… something… somewhere. Not sure really, I know what I have to do but what other departments are up to baffles me sometimes. A simple smile and a “hey, how are you?” will suffice. Depending on the person they just say “oh I’m good how are you?” No one actually cares though, but it is better than awkward silence. For Pete's sake just try to get to know people!

Our Security department has kind of a black-eye because of our manager and the things she has done.
Then there is the evening shift supervisor who belittles everyone with his attitude. When I say “everyone” I mean those under his command AND guests. No one likes to be told what is going on so there are a lot of instances of “shooting the messenger” therefore a lot of other departments do not want to deal with us.


When you are the leader of a security department you need to know how to talk to people professionally and civilly. Not just throw words and frustration at them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment