Sunday, April 5, 2015

September 20, 2014

I typically like working weddings. I like them even more when I am able to sit down at one of the entrances and write about the retarded things that occur during them. 

September 20th, 2014: (Redacted), the lighting engineer with the Art Museum, is an unsung hero of energy conservation. He has worked at the museum for ten years. Before he started working here the museum was producing 75 million kilowatts, he has knocked that number down to 30 million. He saves the museum $300,000 a year but has never received a raise. This seems to be the way of the place. To make matters worse for him the 4th Floor has been refloored and the contractor says (redacted) can’t drive his lift up there without slabs of musanight being placed on the floor as track, In order for (redacted) to change the lighting using the lift he’ll need two assistance to lay the musanight track. A couple of the other art handlers could do that but at the moment they are booked moving art out of H.H. for refurbishment.

Also tonight there is a wedding going on. From 3:30 to 5:00 I was posted on the Loading Dock. Mismanagement's buddy was posted on the Freight Elevator. This was an essential position because this is one of those big weddings where tables and chairs need to be set up on the 3rd Floor. Myself and A. J. were calling (redacted) to bring the Freight Elevator to our floors. The caterers were waiting while she was off doing fuck-all, at one point I had to ask Kevin to send the Freight down when he got the chance. Also, for whatever reason, you can no longer push the call buttons on the Loading Dock. Knucklehead had some key system set in place. (Redacted) even managed to jam the doors at one point. R.J. got that worked out somehow. Earlier in the day Mismanagement pulled her off of the old entrance in order to do arts and crafts down in the break room. What. The. Fuck? You pull a guard off their post to rearrange a fucking bulletin board for Halloween? Only Mismanagement could think of something like this.


The guests must be Italian or something, they seem like they may be a bit of a handful. I’m glad I’m getting off at 10. One of them came through the old entrance (where I’m posted for the wedding) and asked what door they’re suppose to come through. I was told that ony the bridal party could come through my entrance, everyone else has to come in through the other door AFTER 6:00PM. This one guy came in at 5:55 and complained that it was hot outside. To make him leave I said I’d make a call over to the other entrance and see what I could do. No of course I didn’t! I was about to go on break and I didn't like his attitude. 

I remember that not being one of my favorite weddings. They were all Italians from New Jersey so they all had really bad attitudes, even when they were sober. One of the ridiculous rules they have here is not being allowed to carry drinks on stairs. It was this wedding where I said "screw that". The only thing you can do since no one was working the court. 

No comments:

Post a Comment